Green Card Applicants Can Now Apply for a Social Security Number at the Same Time

On August 9, 2021, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) announced that applicants filing to apply for a green card are now able to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card using a single form, the updated Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

To lawfully work in the United Statements, employees must show evidence of their identity and employment eligibility. An unrestricted Social Security card from the Social Security Administration is an accepted document that shows employment eligibility. Previously, these applicants had to submit additional paperwork in person at a Social Security office to apply for a new or replacement Social Security card that is unrestricted. Now, after approving a Form I-485 application, in most cases USCIS will electronically transmit the data to the Social Security Administration. Upon receiving the data, the Social Security Administration will automatically assign an original SSN or issue a replacement card, as appropriate. This partnership with the Social Security Administration will not increase the filing fee for Form I-485.

Applicants who receive their Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card) from USCIS should receive their Social Security Card from the Social Security Administration within the following two weeks.

For more information, please visit

Please contact Shuyuan Michelle Tian, Esq. of Levene Gouldin & Thompson, LLP for any questions regarding the updated Form I-485. 

Connect With Us